Wow! Daisy Walker is living for the back-to-back releases with the new-Old Book of Lore and now this. Honestly, this card is basically a 4 XP Daisy signature card, better than her current one I might add, since it opens up one of her Daisy's hand slots as well, and won't let The Necronomicon push it out of your hands as easily. Let's take a look at her favorite reads:
- The Necronomicon You can get rid of in 2 turns instead of 3, since you can double the effect of moving horror to Daisy.
- Encyclopedia now you can +4 any stat for the whole round. I feel like Daisy can perform some evades or fights actions on herself with more reliability, pump up her , or even dip her toe into her side. Will improve Daisy's support and clue gathering, but not buff her enemy management all that much since it still provokes an attack of opportunity.
- Old Book of Lore / Old Book of Lore I can see the lvl-0 making Daisy a pseudo-Mandy Thompson. I'm not entirely sure how useful this will be on the lvl-2, since you still use up the secrets. Nevertheless, you are a discount machine for you and all your fellow investigators. With a deck dedicated to replenishing secrets via Astounding Revelation, Truth from Fiction, and Enraptured, I can see this adding lots of tempo to investigators who don't have access to cards like Ever Vigilant or Joey "The Rat" Vigil. You can also help the or put down up to 2 key weapons or spells while they are already engaged to an enemy.
- Scroll of Secrets It lets you manipulate 6 cards in the encounter deck or investigator deck. It could potentially help an investigator with a dwindling deck who has yet to draw their weaknesses bypass them altogether, or set up a discard pile for Survivor recursion.
- The more niche Medical Texts +2 heal and Scroll of Prophecies +4 cards draw (2 discarded) are not to be scoffed at either.
- Questioning what Django is saying about Pnakotic Manuscripts. I suppose you can choose different investigators, and each of them would get a chaos bag-less test as a result. Then it would be so stupidly unbalanced.
I'm realizing this review became less about the card, and more about Daisy and all the individual tome cards, but still. STILL. I can also see Mandy Thompson playing this since it does synergize with her abilities, although she already has easy access to her ability via other options. I don't know if it is necessary to sink the 4 XP for Mandy or the other to play this.